Friday, September 13, 2013

Title:     Out of Sight, Out of Time [Gallagher Girls, book 5]
Author:  Ally Carter
Rating:  ★★★1/2


I will be honest: I read books two to five in one day. I couldn't help myself, the series is so exciting! I felt like Ally Carter is a spy with how well she writes about these things. Or maybe just a really good storyteller, cause I am hooked. Before we start, I warn you that this review has spoilers.

The last thing Cammie Morgan remembers is leaving the Gallagher Academy to protect her friends and family from the Circle of Cavan-an ancient terrorist organization that has been hunting her for over a year. But when Cammie wakes up in an alpine convent and discovers that months have passed, she must face the fact that her memory is now a black hole. The only traces left of Cammie's summer vacation are the bruises on her body and the dirt under her nails, and all she wants is to go home.

Once she returns to school, however, Cammie realizes that even the Gallagher Academy now holds more questions than answers. Cammie, her friends, and mysterious spy-guy Zach must face their most difficult challenge yet as they travel to the other side of the world, hoping to piece together the clues that Cammie left behind. It's a race against time. The Circle is hot on their trail and willing stop at nothing to prevent Cammie from remembering what she did last summer.


This is the only book so far in the series that I am giving a 4.5 review. For a school of geniuses and a motley of spies with extensive experience, I don't know why they realized that Cammie was hypnotized. Sure, they know something wasn't right with her, but it was pretty obvious, even to my non-genius IQ, that the music signified something huge. The people around her kept hearing her hum/sing it, but no one speaks up about it. That was confusing for me, and something I did not expect from this series.

But I love everything else about Out of Sight, Out of Time! And for the first time, as well, I am so impressed with Cammie's spy abilities. Imagine, she hasn't even reached her senior year but she was able to leave this trail for her to pick up. Did she have an iota that she might need to retrace her steps someday? I'm not sure, but it was a good move on her part. For the first time, I truly felt that she was the star of the series and that's going to be an awesome spy.

One thing that bothers me is Preston. Honestly, I feel like he's one of the bad guys, you know? I mean, not just his dad. I hope he isn't, though, because that would just be devastating not just to Cammie, but to Macey especially.

Another unanswered question in the book is Cammie's sudden enhanced capability with guns. Her body acts on its own accord, aside from when she is hypnotized. She can assemble and dissemble a gun, and she can shoot well. These things are not taught to the Gallagher Girls, but when she came back she was already great at it. Also, her reflexes with fighting have become second nature, that she acts even before she is aware of it. This was partly addressed by Dr. Steve, but he only cryptically said that she mastered it all on her own. There is still so much we don't know about Ally's capture by The Circle, so I'm hoping that these things will be addressed in the next book.

With the list of the "inner circle" now out in the open, I am psyched for the sixth book, which will be out on Tuesday!!! For the first time, I'm glad I only read this series now because then I don't have to wait long and in agony for the next book. For us bookworms, I think one definition of torture could be reading a really good book and having to wait for a year (or more) for the sequel! Agree?? I want to get my hands on the sixth (and regretfully) last book of the series as soon as it's out, but living in the Philippines I think that's impossible; I'd probably have to wait for a month or two.


If you're on the search for a kick-ass YA book, now's the time to get started on the Gallagher Girls. ;)

Enjoy!