Friday, September 6, 2013

Title:     Cross My Heart and Hope to Spy [Gallagher Girls, book 2]
Author:  Ally Carter
Rating:  ★★★

I'm so hooked on the Gallagher series, I didn't wait to buy hardbound books. I just made do with e-book copies, but I really want to collect them. Sigh. Anyway, I don't regret reading the next book, Cross My Heart and Hope to Spy. Ally Carter seriously has good titles going on in the Gallagher Girls series! I like that the title actually makes sense instead of those cryptic titles that boggles the mind with their lack of connection to the story.

Cammie Morgan may have a genius IQ and attend the best school in the country, but as she starts the spring semester of her sophomore year there are a lot of things she doesn’t know. Like will her ex-boyfriend even remember she exists? And how much trouble did she really get in last semester? And, most of all, exactly why is her mother acting so strangely?

All Cammie wants is a nice, normal semester, but she’s about to learn her greatest lesson yet—that when you go to a school for spies, nothing is ever as it seems.



Okay, here's one spoiler: We are going to see Josh again. But no, it's now the joyful reunion I was hoping it would be, but it was bittersweet. Still, there was a nice distraction in the form of Zach, who until now I cannot wrap my mind around, but I think he's a better fit for Cammie. He's...slick and I think he genuinely cares for her. And he knows her - well not everything about her - but he knows what and who she really is. Why does Ally have to create such fascinating boys for Cammie?!

I'm liking Cammie more as I read further into the series. She's really smart and capable, and it was funny that despite her genius IQ, fluency in 14 languages, and spy skills, she is so unprepared to deal with ordinary boy talk and body language.

Wit keeps peeking out of the book, but silent humor comes in the form of Liz, one of Cammie's best friends. She's this super bookish and the most intelligent student in the Gallagher Girls' history (if not the world), and she tends to write everything down. I always got a kick out of reading (watching?) her take down notes about the boys' behavior, even if it was about totally something so ordinary.

Bex, the other best friend/roommate, is so endearing. She's this gorgeous female who dreams of kicking James Bond out of his place and taking his 007 status. Or at least be one of the double 0 spies, and the best at that. The most surprising character for me, however, is Macey McHenry. She's the typical spoiled, rich, delinquent character in books, but her stay in the Gallagher Academy has shown that there's a deeper, dorkier side to her. And despite her looks and that first impression, she is actually...a good friend. She is so used to being in the limelight and being portrayed as just a spoiled rich kid that I think she will be a wonderful spy right out there in the open because no one will actually suspect her of being anything else. I am actually hoping she'll have her own spin-off as a secret spy while being a socialite.

Is it just me, or does anyone else have the feeling that Cammie's dad is actually still alive? But if he's not, then I so hope Ms. Morgan (Cammie's mom) and Mr. Solomon will just get together already! I think they're good together, although I think that would freak Cammie out haha.

Some sequels disappoint; Cross My Heart and Hope to Spy is definitely not one of those books. I feel like bopping my head for waiting this long to get started on this series. The book is filled with twists, (and in a mansion that size - a lot of those), butt-kicking, awesome display of friendship, and enough PG-rated romantic scenes that will remind you of those heady-days when we are oh-so-young and so unsure about boys. It's fantastic. ;)

Ciao!