Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Author:  Nikki Jefford
Rating:   ★★★

I felt a bit out of my element and so lost when I read Entangled. I actually started reading it a few months ago but I kept stopping. And now that I just (finally) finished the book, I'm feeling a little lost and dazed.

Two months after dying, seventeen-year-old witch Graylee Perez wakes up in her twin sister Charlene’s body.

Until Gray finds a way back inside her own body, she’s stuck being Charlene every twenty-hour hours. Her sister has left precise instructions on how Gray should dress and behave. Looking like a prep isn’t half as bad as hanging out with Charlene’s snotty friends and gropey boyfriend.

The “normals” of McKinley High might be quick to write her behavior off as post-traumatic stress, but warlock Raj McKenna is the only person who suspects Gray has returned from the dead.

Now Gray has to solve the mystery of her death and resurrection and disentangle herself from Charlene’s body before she disappears for good.




I enjoyed the book a little, and it was not such a struggle to finish it, but my attention was not altogether captured by the book. I even forgot about the title, although the plot is not easily forgettable so I was able to track it down again.

I was not able to relate to the characters at all. Usually in stories about twins, there's a twin who's nicer than the other and whom everybody likes. In this case, while Charlene is more of the extreme bad girl, Graylee isn't so nice either. I don't exactly know what to feel for either of them, since I don't hate Charlene, but I don't like Graylee either. Honestly, the only person I did like in the story is poor Mrs. Perez and Mr. Morehouse who doesn't know any better.

Well, okay, Raj McKenna is also one of the better characters. I'm still feeling a little confused about the plot. Sorry. Why didn't Raj just tell his mom what happened at the start, so that instead of being vilified, he'll actually be "saved"? Instead, he becomes the coven's bad boy...when he's anything but bad. I think he's actually sweet and mature for his age. A little.

I'm still not over the make out scene between Raj and Graylee. Entangled is a bit more graphic than I thought it would be. Plus that scene where Raj becomes a peeping tom over Charlene. Did I really have to know what Charlene was doing, in detail? I really don't think so, as I already picked up on what they were doing before Raj uses his new spell and looks at what Charlene is doing. He's a guy, and that's Charlene. Shouldn't he have known what's happening?

Also, are the teachers blind in that school, or seriously lax? Most of the books I've read have serious issues about kissing or groping in school, but Charlene/Graylee gets groped and makes out in school like all the time without any repercussions.

The premise of the plot is actually very interesting, but instead of feeling satisfied and gushing about the book after reading it, I just felt confused. There were a lot of things missing in the story. What's the deal with Charlene, is she really psychotic? And how come they didn't realize Graylee was poisoned? Actually a lot of the characters in the story seem too intense and psychotic for my taste. Also, what happened to Mrs. Perez, who did the first spell?

Although I was able to finish Entangled, I'm not sure if I'm going to read the next book in the series, but based on the preview text and plot, I don't think this series is for me.

How about you, have you read the book? What do you think about it?