Thursday, August 16, 2012

‘That One Line’ is a weekly meme I created, which is about a particular sentence/phrase/paragraph that I found particularly striking. It should be from a book although quotes related to reading are also welcome. It doesn’t have to be a book that I just finished but can be something that I read before and I just want to share it.

This morning, while doing some research for work, I came across Kate Chopin, the author of one of my favorite works, The Awakening. I have to admit that when I first read it I was bored out of my mind but I managed to finish the book and nearing the end, I was able to appreciate the literary genius behind it. I would thus like to dedicate my second That One Line entry to this book and share with you one of the quotes that I really liked:

“The voice of the sea is seductive; never ceasing, whispering, clamoring, murmuring, inviting the soul to wander for a spell in abysses of solitude; to lose itself in mazes of inward contemplation. The voice of the sea speaks to the soul. The touch of the sea is sensuous, enfolding the body in its soft, close embrace.”
― Kate Chopin, The Awakening

I chose this particular quote because I’ve felt that lure by the sea so many times. I have stood on the beach and just looked out to water and felt the tug. It beckons me to just dip my toes, even for a while, then my calves, then my thighs, and eventually up to my head. And I float, contemplating about everything and anything under the sun. And when I stand up to walk away, I still feel that tug to come back and relax some more.

How about you, have you ever felt that way about the water/sea?