Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Hello everyone! A few weeks ago, something happened that really quite weakened me. I spent the time the last two weeks just reading and reading and reading some more to take my mind off things. I had to back out on some of my commitments to authors because I really could not write anything about a book, so I had to email them as soon as I knew I wouldn't be able to pull through. It was one of the hardest things I went through so far. Although one good thing about what happened is that I had a lot of time on my hands and I used that time to finally finish my year-long book, War and Peace, and start making a dent on my TBR. I am slowly regaining my sea legs, I think; however, I am still not up to writing a review as I find myself just picking up book after book after book to fill my mind in between work and sleep.

So far, I have finished the following books:

  1. War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy -- Yes, I know! I finally finished it! :-)
  2. MacDonald Goes Hollywood by Gordon Korman
  3. This Can't Be Happening at MacDonald Hall! by Gordon Korman
  4. The War with Mr. Wizzle by Gordon Korman
  5. Beware the Fish! by Gordon Korman
  6. Concourse by S. J. Rozan
  7. Something Fishy at MacDonald Hall by Gordon Korman
  8. Luck Be a Lady by Constance M. Burge
  9. No Colder Place by S. J. Rozan
  10. Witches of East End by Melissa de la Cruz
  11. Etiquette & Espionage by Gail Carriger
  12. High Marks for Malice by Carolyn Keene
  13. Diary of the White Witch by Melissa de la Cruz
Getting there!
With the sudden time on my hands, I am inching closer and closer to my Crone goal for the 2013 Witches & Witchcraft Reading Challenge and have added books to 2013 Reading Challenge of Goodreads.

Paper books nostalgia
Since my Nook is filled with romance novels, which is a genre I cannot read at the moment, I started picking up actual paperback books from my TBR pile. It's been such a long time! I actually quite missed holding a paperback book, as I only read War & Peace (tradepaper) and hardbound books last year. I miss the ease of just chucking a paperback book into my bag and be on the go. It is still lighter than my Nook and touching an actual paper, instead of swiping across my screen, felt so good. I am still definitely more into paperback books than ebooks! What about you?

New books on my TBR:
To cheer up last night, I went ahead and bought three books in the Lydia Chin/Bill Smith series by S. J. Rozan. I have been looking for her books for years and they are so hard to find! In fact, I only found them in one bookstore, and their supplies are dwindling fast - just one copy per title!

These are the other books on my TBR that I will be reading ASAP! Although I'm not sure which one will go first...
  • School Spirits by Rachel Hawkins
  • The Son of Sobek by Rick Riordan
  • The Girl with the Iron Touch by Kady Cross
  • Witches 101 - A Witches of East End Primer by Melissa de la Cruz
  • W.A.R.P. The Reluctant Assassin by Eoin Colfer
  • China Trade by S. J. Rozan
  • A Bitter Feast by S. J. Rozan
  • Stone Quarry by S. J. Rozan
I hope you all are having a very nice day :-) I hope I'll be back soon and find my footing and write reviews again, or at least participate in the community again.

Cheers,


4 comments:

  1. I love my Kindle, but paper will always be my favorite too :) Congrats on finishing War and Peace! I read it in high school and it was one of the most trying (reading) experiences ever. Not counting Moby Dick since I never finished it ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reading War & Peace certainly was! I blogged about it a couple of times because I had to keep myself motivated and to let off steam. I couldn't imagine reading it for school!

      I use a Nook, haven't tried a Kindle yet. Is the reading experience quite different? But I do love my Nook. I can read for hours and have a lot to choose from, compared to just bringing around one book.

      Delete
  2. Hi Goldie! I'm glad that you are back! I don't know what happened or what you're going through (though I think I have a clue already, haha!) but I'm glad that you are slowly recovering from it. I can see that books became your constant companion in times like that. Congratulations for finally finishing War & Peace! :)

    Stay strong! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cora Mae! Sorry for the late response. Hayyy yeaaah. I'm slowly recovering, but at least there's a step towards the right direction! :D And thanks for congratulating me, I really felt like it's a huge achievement!

      Delete

I love hearing from you readers. Thank you for not leaving spam on my posts.

I usually reply to your comments so make sure to visit again! :)