Thursday, May 30, 2013


Remember this? is a new meme that I came up with while I was entering the data of Sabriel by Garth Nix, into my book catalogue. I was suddenly curious if there's anyone else here who has read the book as. Remember this? is a feature that will talk about a book that I have read before, whether I waxed poetic about it, or disliked it, but I have no plan to reread and review in the immediate future. It can be any book, as long as it wasn't published for the current year and I haven't reviewed it yet.

Sent to a boarding school in Ancelstierre as a young child, Sabriel has had little experience with the random power of Free Magic or the Dead who refuse to stay dead in the Old Kingdom. But during her final semester, her father, the Abhorsen, goes missing, and Sabriel knows she must enter the Old Kingdom to find him. She soon finds companions in Mogget, a cat whose aloof manner barely conceals its malevolent spirit, and Touchstone, a young Charter Mage long imprisoned by magic, now free in body but still trapped by painful memories. As the three travel deep into the Old Kingdom, threats mount on all sides. And every step brings them closer to a battle that will pit them against the true forces of life and death—and bring Sabriel face-to-face with her own destiny.

With Sabriel, the first installment in the Abhorsen trilogy, Garth Nix exploded onto the fantasy scene as a rising star, in a novel that takes readers to a world where the line between the living and the dead isn't always clear—and sometimes disappears altogether.



Sabriel, the first book in the Abhorsen series, is truly one of my favorite books, and I have re-read it countless times. It features magic, friendship, love, and a kick-ass female. This book also introduced me to the world of necromancy and fantasy, as previously I only read Sweet Valley, romance, Nancy Drew, etc, you get the idea. I bought this back in 2006, and I don't remember what grabbed my attention at that moment, as it was so out of my usual reading choices, but I had no regrets spending my money back then! I remember oooh-ing and aaah-ing while reading the book. I loved the Sabriel so much, I immediately grabbed the second book (and third book) to continue the series!

This is the cover of the copy that I have. They have repackaged the book and it now looks like this -->

I actually prefer the old cover, that one that I have, as this one doesn't speak to me. I prefer seeing a kick-ass female on the front, instead of this...which makes me think of fire. And no, fire isn't part of Sabriel's repertoire. But maybe this is the modern look that grabs the attention of other readers? I don't know, but I still prefer to see characters on my book covers.

So, have you read Sabriel? Do you remember the book? Share your thoughts! :)


5 comments:

  1. OMG! Sabriel was recommended to me by a friend. I actually bought the omnibus accidentally. :D This was my first book that had the Necromancer as a hero which I really really loved. I prefer Lirael as a character than Sabby... Sabby was just too perfect for me and had little to no flaws... though she kicks ass. x-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you read Across the Wall? I haven't yet :-? Hihi. I didn't like Lirael actually! I preferred Sabriel. Lirael was too dry for me.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, I've read Across the wall. :D It's like an epilogue for the series. Sabriel for me was just too perfect... she had very little growth for me. I guess I prefer broken characters who get better over time.

      Delete
    3. Yep, Lirael was the one who grew more compared to Sabriel. I suppose it's just a matter of preference. And kudos to Garth Nix for introducing two very strong and yet vastly different characters to us. I just got Across the Wall :D:D:D I'm so happy! (h)

      Delete
  2. Enjoy! It's actually a fun book. :D

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you readers. Thank you for not leaving spam on my posts.

I usually reply to your comments so make sure to visit again! :)