Tuesday, July 30, 2013



Title:    Sabrina The Teenage Witch (Sabrina the Teenage Witch, book 1)
Author:  David Cody Weiss and Bobbi JG Weiss
Rating:  ★★★★

One of the TV series I liked when I was younger was Sabrina the Teenage Witch. I really enjoy watching/reading about magic or witchcraft because I am so in awe of the idea of having powers and being able to fly or appearing wherever you want to appear. One of my favorite "spells" is that I can change my clothes at will (like Sabrina does!). But I wasn't such a fan that I collected all the Sabrina novelizations, until I saw the first book and thought, I just have to buy that. I actually don't know how Sabrina really started!

Sabrina's the new girl in town and she's already made enemies. Jenny wants to be friends, but Libby, the most popular girl in school, has put the hex on Sabrina. And Libby's friends won't give her the time of day. Thank heavens for Harvey He's really special. And he seems to think Sabrina is, too.It's almost enough to convince Sabrina that everything will be OK. Then her aunts tell her the terrible truth: she's a witch There's no doubt about it when she wishes dead frogs back to life in biology lab But not even her newfound powers can help her when Libby asks Harvey to the dance -- and he says "Yes " What's a witch to do?

If you're a fan of the Sabrina series, I think Sabrina the Teenage Witch book 1 is a must-have. Here, we get to know Sabrina as a teenager and her personality and quirks. We discover that she really is nice, although she also has a naughty side. We get to know her family background. I must say, I found out a lot about her from this book!

We are also introduced to the funny Spellman aunts - Hilda and Zelda. They really are quite adorable, funny, and fantastic. They remind me of my sister and I - although we're not over 600 years old and we don't have powers. They're funny, they constantly tease each other, and one is more "responsible" than the other, but they both enjoy each other's company anyway.

Harvey is cute, but I hope his character really develops! I don't like men who can't say no and can't say what's on their mind. But then again, he's just sixteen here :p Of course, we can't forget Salem, who is always adorable and quirky, with his constant take-over-the-world schemes and mutterings. Libby is your typical high school cheerleader villain - but she's just a stereotype. I loved Jenny, though! She stands out, although I think she just chooses to be that way because people reject her.

I think Sabrina the Teenage Witch is set in a stereotypical teenage plot, with a witch thrown in for a plot "twist". But oh well, it worked for me. Sometimes, I just want an uncomplicated book with no people dying, and where the story is resolved by the end. Or maybe that's just because I really enjoy witch books!

This is also my fourteenth book for the 2013 Witches & Witchcraft Challenge, which means just two more books to go and I'll achieve my goal of getting Crone status! If you know of a fun, quirky, chick lit witch book, do let me know please :)

How about you, read any good witchy books lately? :)


**Quickstop Tuesdays is a feature in My Book Musings where I review books/comic books/graphic novels that have less than 200 pages, on Tuesdays.

2 comments:

  1. OMG!!! I loved Sabrina I used to watch it everyday :)It reminds me of my childhood

    I want this book ASAP

    thanks for sharing
    Ruty@Reading...Dreaming

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you readers. Thank you for not leaving spam on my posts.

I usually reply to your comments so make sure to visit again! :)