Friday, March 28, 2014

Title:       Wicked Little Secrets
Author:   Susanna Ives
Rating:   ★★★1/2
Availability: Amazon | Barnes & Noble | iTunes | Book Depository

Wicked Little Secrets felt like a friend-turned-lovers story done right. It wasn't a case of insta-love, and the 'rake' was just hilarious. I agree, men who can make you laugh are the bomb.

It's Not Easy Being Good...

Vivacious Vivienne Taylor has finally won her family's approval by getting engaged to the wealthy and upright John Vandergrift. But when threatened by a vicious blackmail scheme, it is to her childhood friend that Vivienne turns; the deliciously wicked Viscount Dashiell.

When Being Wicked is so Much More Exciting...

Lord Dashiell promised himself long ago that his friendship with Vivienne would be the one relationship with a woman that he wouldn't ruin. He agrees to help her just to keep the little hothead safe, but soon finds that Vivienne has grown up to be very, very dangerous to all of Dash's best intentions.

I liked the characters off the start, from the irrepressible Vivienne to rogueish Dashiell to his grandfather. His grandfather, Lord Baswiche, was golden, and cute, and I definitely see where Dashiell got his sense of humor. I'd love to marry a man with a grandfather like Baswiche. <3 p="">

The plot centered around Vivienne's attempts to be 'perfect' for her snake of a fiancee, while trying to stay away from Dashiell and saving her family from ruin from destitution and scandal. The operative word is 'try to stay away' because they couldn't - and how refreshing to find a regency romance where the protagonists want to be with each other for something other than sex. Woosah. Their affection and love for each other was gradual, and established, and I truly felt that they belonged to each other right off the bat.

I love that Vivienne was not a prissy miss. There were times when she was depicted to be super smart, but I didn't feel that she was that when she was growing up. She just kept quoting passages of how a woman should be, then in the end she starts showing some backbone. She was awesome.

What Dashiell did for Vivienne, whoo, *fans self*, was hilarious, and seriously took a lot of balls. I think other readers would find it funny and charming, too. I was charmed off my feet. He kept reminding himself of his manly deeds as he did something I've never read any other man do in regency romance. Good job, Ives!

I read Wicked Little Secrets in between work, and I know it's really got me excited because I read in between work, and while eating, and while walking and...you get the idea. It was funny, and exciting, and romantic, and hot. I wonder how Ives could put that all in one book, but there you go. I can't wait to read more stories from this author!

In romance stories, what character traits in a hero do you prefer? I'm torn between brooding with devastating romantic lines like Mr. Darcy, and funny, charming men like Dashiell. Do tell!