Thursday, February 14, 2013

Author:   Sarah MacLean
Rating:   ★★★★★

Happy Valentine's Day!!!

If you're sitting at home like me, looking for the next book to read, why not pick up a delicious historical romance book to spend Valentine's Day with?

Sarah MacLean, one of my favorite historical romance authors, is back with One Good Earl Deserves a Lover, and it was well worth the wait!

Lady Philippa Marbury is odd. The bespectacled, brilliant fourth daughter of the Marquess of Needham and Dolby cares more for books than balls, flora than fashion and science than the season. Nearly engaged to Lord Castleton, Pippa wants to explore the scandalous parts of London she's never seen before marriage. And she knows just who to ask: the tall, charming, quick-witted bookkeeper of The Fallen Angel, London's most notorious and coveted gaming hell, known only as Cross.

Like any good scientist, Pippa's done her research and Cross's reputation makes him perfect for her scheme. She wants science without emotion—the experience of ruination without the repercussions of ruination. And who better to provide her with the experience than this legendary man? But when this odd, unexpected female propositions Cross, it's more than tempting . . . and it will take everything he has to resist following his instincts—and giving the lady precisely what she wants.

As with other Sarah MacLean novels, this one had me staying up until 4am because the story was too enthralling to put down. I was super kilig.

"Kilig" (pronounced as as in English) is a Filipino term, and I'm not really sure how to best translate it to English, but I'll try my best. Have you ever felt thrilled up to your toes, like you're feeling giddy because of a romantic story? Or you just saw your crush and he talked to you or smiled at you and you feel like bouncing or jumping around? That's basically what kilig means. I hope you learned something new today!

Moving on, I had happy, good vibes all throughout the book, and I felt relaxed. The plot was a little different from the usual historical romance books, and the book was just littered with mostly pleasant characters!

While I cannot relate to Pippa (I am not good with science), I still liked her attitude and her honesty policy in life. I have enjoyed her arguments with Cross, pitting logic against logic, brains against brains. She perfectly depicted the slightly naive, innocent, charming single woman of those times.

Cross, on the other hand, is said to be not exactly handsome. I suppose I'll describe him as having "arresting" looks, with a mysterious air that draws women to him like bees to honey. He's purportedly a rake, with numerous conquests throughout the years, but he has actually been celibate for six years, since he became "Cross". Still, he has been a rake before becoming this oh-so-attractive Mr. Cross. He's one of those book characters that you wish could just be real.

The tension between Pippa and Cross was just delicious, with Pippa striving to become knowledgeable about coitus so she could be a good wife to Lord Castleton, her fiancee. She approaches Cross, her brother-in-law's co-owner of the gambling den, The Fallen Angel, but he refuses. However, due to the numerous scrapes that Pippa gets herself into (and manipulation of several other characters), all in the name of science of course, he finally ends up giving in to become her "teacher". Of course, the sexual tug-o-war between Pippa and Cross was a bit drawn out, thrilling me to no end. My toed curled up in excitement, and all thoughts of sleep was banished from my brain by 2 in the morning.

Of course, there was the issue of Pippa being engaged already, and Cross being manipulated into getting engaged to another woman. Thankfully, Lord Castleton was actually very nice throughout the whole ordeal, and not at all the dunderhead that everyone thinks he is; though compared to Pippa, he does not really have much in the looks department. I like their relationship - no fuss, no dramatics, on both parts actually. It was quite refreshing from the usual emotionally-charged romance books, where everyone is just weepy or screaming. I'd love to say more about him but I'm trying to avoid giving any spoilers. I'm glad the whole business of Pippa's and Cross' engagement to other people was tied up nicely by Sarah MacLean.

Cross' friends, Temple and Chase, intrigue me so much I can't wait for the next books to be out! I'm so glad that Temple's story is next (No Good Duke Goes Unpunished) as he fascinates me. The plot teaser is already making me curious and that one is definitely part of my books to read this year.

Another part of the plot that I truly enjoyed is that it wasn't too complicated or too heavy on the drama. The story didn't have unnecessary twists and turns just to make it more complicated or prolong the story. One Good Earl Deserves a Lover was so good, that even days after reading it, it still makes me smile, and that feeling of having read a good book has not faded.  I am so excited for the next book to come out,

I also have to give props to the cover! I usually am not such a fan of covers, I'm too in a hurry to get to the plot goodies, but starting this year, I have paid more attention to them. I love the dress, and just the whole cover is tasteful.

Fans of both historical romance novels, and Sarah MacLean, would surely enjoy One Good Earl Deserves a Lover, so go grab your copy now :)