Thursday, September 27, 2012

Welcome to the That One Line meme! ‘That One Line’ is a weekly meme I created, which is about a particular sentence/phrase/paragraph that I found particularly striking. It should be from a book although quotes related to reading are also welcome. It doesn’t have to be a book that I just finished but can be something that I read before and I just want to share it. If you’re doing this meme too, post a comment with a link to your post so we can read it! :)

So this post is quite late (it should have been yesterday!) but I couldn’t really think of a good enough quote to write about. Then today, while I was reading up about one of my favorite works, I read this quote and felt compelled to share it.

Before, I featured a quote by one of my favorite female authors, Kate Chopin, and today I’m going to share a quote from a book I read around the same time I read The Awakening

This one is from Edith Wharton, who’s family before she was married, actually inspired the line ‘Keeping up with the Joneses’. Yes, before the Keeping Up with the Kardashians show, the original line is actually “Keeping up with the Joneses”.

Anyway, this is the quote:

“And you'll sit beside me, and we'll look, not at visions, but at realities.”

- Age of Innocence, Edith Wharton

Isn’t that nice and just thought-provoking? I think the best books are those that either just boggle the mind and make you reflect (like The Count of Monte Cristo) or those that make you want to be there (like Harry Potter). Unless it’s a purely for leisure kind of book.

How about you, got any line to share? Smile