Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Welcome to the That One Line meme! ‘That One Line’ is a weekly meme I created, which is about a particular sentence/phrase/paragraph that I found particularly striking. It should be from a book although quotes related to reading are also welcome. It doesn’t have to be a book that I just finished but can be something that I read before and I just want to share it. If you’re doing this meme too, post a comment with a link to your post so we can read it! :)

I was reading War and Peace and found this great line that I thought to share. Doing this meme has made me realize that more quotable quotes can be found in books with serious matter, or at least those with serious reflection, that in others. Hehe, just sharing. Anyway, here's the line for the week:

"Into the insignificant, trifling, and artificial interests uniting that society, had entered the simple feeling of the attraction of a healthy and handsome young man and woman for one another. And this human feeling dominated everything else and soared above all their affected chatter."

- page 219, War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy.


If you have guessed it (I'm sure you did!), Tolstoy speaks about love, particularly the budding romance between Pierre and Hélène. I love reading a book and suddenly coming across a wonderful line that just jumps off the page, whose wording makes me pause to admire it the way it should be.

If you have been following my blog, you'd know by now that I've been reading War and Peace for quite some time now. I am only on the second book, hehehe, because the first book was really hard to get through for me. But allow me to rejoice in being able to get through that. Hurrah!

Has there ever been a book that you had to or wanted to read but it was just so difficult for you to read, but you still managed to finish it anyway? :)