Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Title:       The Fixer [The Fixer, book 01]
Author:   Jennifer Lynn Barnes
Rating:   ★★★★1/2
Availability: Google Play | iBooks | Kobo | Amazon | Barnes & Noble

The Fixer's plot description alone got me hooked. As a fan of Olivia Pope, I just had to read it.

It did not disappoint.

When sixteen-year-old Tess Kendrick is sent to live with her older sister, Ivy, she has no idea that the infamous Ivy Kendrick is Washington D.C.'s #1 "fixer" known for making politicians' scandals go away for a price. No sooner does Tess enroll at Hardwicke Academy than she unwittingly follows in her sister's footsteps and becomes D.C.'s premier high school fixer, solving problems for elite teens.

Secrets pile up as each sister lives a double life. . . . until their worlds come crashing together and Tess finds herself in the middle of a conspiracy with one of her classmates and a client of Ivy's. Suddenly, there is much more on the line than good grades, money, or politics, and the price for this fix might be more than Tess is willing to pay.

I love that it didn't center around Ivy because that would have been too much like Scandal, and I didn't want that. I love that it focused around Tess instead, and her budding fixer ways. I love the very strong female characters: main character Tess, supporting characters Ivy Kendrick, and Tess' classmates Vivvie and Emilia. I also love the equally strong guys, Adam, Bodie, Asher, and Henry, who were not, in any way, emasculated. They just reeked manliness and muscles, and were incredibly supportive.

I was not able to relate to the settings because I've never been to a glitzy event to The White House, but the characters felt so real. Vivvie and Asher were so grounded, that I felt I could be friends with them. Tess intimidates me, but hopefully we'll get along!

The Fixer serves several twists and turns. That's one part that confused me, and it was the revelation of who the father was. Somehow, it just didn't make sense to me. I felt that there was too little build-up for one character, which didn't actualize and left me disappointed and confused.

Jennifer Lynn Barnes seems to be continuing with her trend of writing mystery books in law/political environments, and I must say she's doing pretty well in it. I am definitely going to read the sequel (still untitled) to The Fixer once it's out.

I definitely recommend The Fixer for fans of young adult mystery thrillers and, of course, fans of Jennifer Lynn Barnes.

Have a nice week :)