Monday, October 28, 2013

Title:     Lies That Bind [The Liar Society, book 2]
Author:   Lisa Roecker and Laura Roecker
Rating:   ★★★1/2

One of the things I have been enjoying about blogging is seeing the shift of my interests and likes or dislikes as I read more books. Sometimes, I can be so gaga over one book or a character in a series and detest another. Such is the case with The Liar Society's second book, The Lies That Bind...

Another Sister Gone

A classmate has gone missing, and Kate soon realizes that the disappearance is tied to the secret societies that rule her private school. Her best friend died for their secrets, and there's no way she'll let them get away with it twice. It's up to quirky outsider Kate to get some answers, but in a school where every answer leads to more questions and nothing's as it seems, who can she trust?

I like The Liar Society. It's got intrigue, friendship, a really cute boyfriend, and Kate's colorful hair. I completely fan-girled over it. But Lies That Bind slightly made me change my tune. What I don't like is Kate. She's got this savior complex and drive for revenge that just doesn't let up, no matter the cost. While that is normally admirable, I just hated it because it was eating her up and everyone was just concerned, but she just couldn't see it. She still persisted, even when she hurt other people.

And then plot twist, the ending, it just shattered me. I can't believe teenage girls can be so devious. Oh, wait a minute, I went to an all-girl school, I know how it goes, but their desired outcome was just beyond comprehension. That's just too mean...and all for power? At that age? Wow.

Now, despite my sadness with Lies That Bind, why am I still giving it a 4.5 star rating? Because I admire that the book still made me feel something, even if it's negatively. With all the books that I've read, I don't always come across a book that made me feel something - and enough to write about it. I think it's a credit to the writers, too. I guess it's just one of those negative things that still has something positive to it. And I liked it so much, I didn't get up from my bed for two hours just so I can finish it. I was just so immersed in the world of Pemberly Brown.

Have you ever felt that I-hate-it-but-its-good way about a book? How did you like Lies That Bind?


Happy Monday!