Saturday, July 28, 2012

Title:        Artemis Fowl and the Last Guardian (Book 8)
Author:     Eoin Colfer
Rating:     ★★★★★



I just finished the book a few minutes ago and I feel a bit sentimental. I kept hoping for more and more pages as I flipped the last page, but I know, to no avail, as Artemis Fowl and the Last Guardian is the last book in the series. I felt like a part of my childhood just ended.

In Artemis Fowl and the Last Guardian, the three major characters Artemis Fowl the Second, Butler, and Holly Short, are teamed up once again to fight the biggest villain that has repeatedly plagued them for several years – Opal Koboi. This time, however, Opal’s plans are much more sinister and have wide-reaching consequences than ever before. That is to say, Opal Koboi wants the eradication of humans.

Since Opal is undeniably a genius, she was able to plan her escape and create a sinister plan that just might work. As long as Foaly and Artemis Fowl are not there to pit wits against her, that is. Of course, being the genius that she is, she had so many plots that just took them all by surprise.

Enter Artemis Fowl the Second, the only one who had been able to outwit her for one time. With Fowl’s brothers rising against her, with Butler against Butler, and with the world’s technology crashing down around them, would he still be able to outwit Opal and save humanity?

I will leave you with that question and urge you to get a copy and read it. It’s well worth every page. and well worth the wait. I must admit that I had my misgivings because the last book, The Atlantis Complex, did not reach my expectations. However, not five minutes into the book erased any misgivings and doubts I might have had. Now, I’m begging for a movie – one that sticks to the plot and gives justice to the book.

It is not often that you find a book that just enthralls you, capturing your interest from page one and leaving you hooked, breathless, and wanting for more. For my part, I cannot say that I would willingly part thousands just to read a series. In the case of the Artemis Fowl series, the thousands that I have already spent has been worth it.

Maybe it is wishful thinking on my part that Eoin Colfer, the author of my favorite series, would get to read this. But if you ever do, I would like to thank you for penning a series that enabled us enamored readers to drift off into a whole new world filled with seemingly impossible realities, great friendship, and love. What I particularly like about the series is that unlike the several young adult books in the market, Artemis Fowl has always been clean of any sexual references, which, in this age, seems to be a fresh concept.

As I (temporarily) end my musings on Artemis Fowl, I cannot help but recall the same words that Butler said: "I think we will have lost something of ourselves, too". Too true.

IMG283
My Eoin Colfer book collection
(not included in the picture are Airman and the two Artemis Fowl graphic novels)

Ciao! Happy musings :)