Sunday, September 7, 2014

Title:       The Revenge of Seven [Lorien Legacies, book 05]
Author:   Pittacus Lore
Rating:   ★★★★1/2

I've put off reading The Revenge of Seven because I was unsure whether I still wanted to read it after The Fall of Five. But since I was curious how the story would play out, I decided to go ahead and continue reading the series.

The worst was supposed to be over. We were reunited after a decade apart. We were discovering the truth about our past. We were training and getting stronger every day. We were even happy...

We never imagined the Mogadorians could turn one of our own against us. We were fools for trusting Five. And now Eight is lost forever. I would do anything to bring him back, but that's impossible. Instead, I will do whatever it takes to destroy every last one of them. I've spent my entire life hiding from them, and they've stolen everything away from me. But that stops now. We're going to take the battle to them. We have a new ally who knows their weaknesses. And I finally have the power to fight back.

They caught Number One in Malaysia.
Number Two in England.
Number Three in Kenya.
And Number Eight in Florida.

They killed them all.

I am Number Seven.

I will make them pay.

I was actually pleasantly surprised by The Revenge of Seven because the writing feels smoother somehow. The story was more engaging, and I really saw how far Pittacus Lore had come in terms of writing. Before I knew it, I was halfway through the book and struggled to put it down to get some sleep.

The Revenge of Seven was very exciting. I went into the book fully expecting the fight scene of all fight scenes but until the book ended, we barely even scratched the surface. It's one thing to prolong the story for excitement, but another to prolong it just to extend the story. I've seen it happen to several teleseryes, and it just disappoints in the end.

We see some new sides to our characters, such as Nine's gentleness, Marina's icy anger, and Five's courage. Sam and Six take their relationship to the next level, as it happens when war looms. I enjoyed seeing Six's romantic vulnerability. It was also very sweet to see how the love between Sarah and Four helps to strengthen the latter during the fight, and gives him courage to fight. I'm curious to see how the chemistry between the two will play out in the movies, as the actors, once real-life couple Dianna and Alex, have parted ways.

One of the things I didn't like was that it was confusing at the start of every chapter to figure out who was speaking, especially since the characters spoke in the first person. If you don't finish the book in one go, you have to remember which scene you're at, as it can be unsettling to go into the book again after a brief break.

The end of The Revenge of Seven has a very interesting twist, and I'm still excited to discover how that will change my expected course of the story. I've said before that the author has a way of making you want for more, and this stands true; only this time I'm getting frustrated that the story is getting so prolonged. I hope this is only up until book 6 because the story can only go so far, and the invasion scene is already starting.

Hey you, have you read, or plan to read, The Revenge of Seven? Let me know your thoughts. :)