Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Title:       The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Perilous Journey [The Mysterious Benedict Society, book 2]
Author:   Trenton Lee Stewart
Rating:   ★★★

The journey with the Benedict Society kids continues with second book in the series, The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Perilous Journey. I really enjoyed reading about Reynie, Kate, Sticky, and Constance's adventure in The Mysterious Benedict Society, that my mom gifted me with the entire hardbound set of the series for my birthday. It's one of my prized series right now. :)

The fabulous foursome readers embraced as The Mysterious Benedict Society is back with a new mission, significantly closer to home. After reuniting for a celebratory scavenger hunt, Reynie, Kate, Sticky, and Constance are forced to go on an unexpected search--a search to find Mr. Benedict. It seems that while he was preparing the kids' adventure, he stepped right into a trap orchestrated by his evil twin Mr. Curtain.

With only one week to find a captured Mr. Benedict, the gifted foursome faces their greatest challenge of all--a challenge that will reinforce the reasons they were brought together in the first place and will require them to fight for the very namesake that united them.

I think The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Perilous Journey is a fantastic book for middle-grade kids, although parents should be prepared for their children to be filled with wanderlust and asked to be brought to Holland. I know I certainly became interested in the country!

The four kids embark on a 'perilous' journey. I admire their courage, and their quick-thinking. I guess part of my enjoyment of the book is that I cannot imagine myself being able to do the things they did. They're really impressive kids, and I hope there are kids as adventurous, courageous, and smart as these four.

With book 2, the lovable kids are back. Although Constance still irritated the heck out of me, and Sticky became too much of a show-off, I'm glad there was some saving grace for Sticky in the end. For Constance, maybe it's because of her age, but I just don't like her attitude. I'm hoping she'll be nicer to others in the next book, which I will surely read :)

If there is one place in the world you would love to visit, that is not a usual tourist spot (i.e. Paris/London/New York), where would you go? I'd like to go to Galapagos Island. I want to see all the fantastic creatures Darwin must have saw that made him ponder about evolution. Or North Pole, because I want to see penguins and seals in their natural habitat.