Monday, March 31, 2014

Title:       Half-Off Ragnarok [Incryptid, book 3]
Author:   Seanan McGuire
Rating:   ★★★
Availability: Amazon | Barnes & Noble | iTunes | Book Depository

I was very enthusiastic about Seanan McGuire's Discount Armageddon, book one in her Incryptid series. Now my agonized wait has been rewarded by a fantastic third book in the series, Half-Off Ragnarok.

When Alex Price agreed to go to Ohio to oversee a basilisk breeding program and assist in the recovery of his psychic cousin, he didn't expect people to start dropping dead. But bodies are cropping up at the zoo where he works, and his girlfriend—Shelby Tanner, an Australian zoologist with a fondness for big cats—is starting to get suspicious.

Worse yet, the bodies have all been turned partially to stone...

The third book in the InCryptid series takes us to a new location and a new member of the family, as Alex tries to balance life, work, and the strong desire not to become a piece of garden statuary. Old friends and new are on the scene, and danger lurks around every corner.

Of course, so do the talking mice.

Alex Price is a cryptoologist who gets involved in tracking down a cryptid that has been turning people and animals into stone and killing others. He's smart, capable, dangerous, definitely manly, and based on his ability to carry a fully grown woman, I think he's hunky enough. Whew!

What I didn't like about him doesn't even revolve around him. It revolves around the way the story was written. I definitely saw the difference between him and his sister, Verity. Alex isn't seductive and he isn't a smart aleck. However, the tone of voice still felt the same to me. I cannot imagine him manly enough in my brain because I kept feeling that I was reading the same voice as Verity's. It's like, take out the sass and the frequent curses and seductive lines, and you have Alex. I wish he felt different to me while I was reading the book.

Funnily enough, Shelby, his girlfriend, was the one who felt different to me. She was a whole new character who kept referencing Australia and the dangerous life there. She was more interesting to me than Alex because she talked about new things, while the experiences Alex referenced to were almost similar to Verity's.

However, Half-Off Ragnarok is definitely not missing out on the action. There's plenty of it. I'm a visual learner, but I'm glad I wasn't able to fully visualize the cryptids mentioned in this book. I don't think I'd have a good night's sleep if I was able to see in my head the gorgons, the snakes, and the half-human half-snake imagery in the book!


Do you believe in fantasy creatures like gorgons and basilisks? I don't believe in them, and I don't want to believe in them, but I keep hoping unicorns are real!