Sunday, April 28, 2013

Title:     If You Give a Rake a Ruby [Jewels of the Ton, book 2]
Author:  Shana Galen
Rating:  ★★★

Aha! Finally, we have the name of the Big Boss who is behind all the mess that Warrick and Pelham found themselves in. The Three Diamonds sure are intriguing; they have so many dark secrets. For the first time (I think), the ladies have darker secrets the gents. I actually like that about the series, and it feels refreshing because it's usually the men who are usually the "damaged" parties in historical romance novels. I mean, yeah, why can't it be the woman?

Her Mysterious Past Is The Best Revenge...

Fallon, the Marchioness of Mystery, is a celebrated courtesan with her finger on the pulse of high society. She’s adored by men, hated by their wives. No one knows anything about her past, and she plans to keep it that way.

Only He Can Offer Her A Dazzling Future...

Warrick Fitzhugh will do anything to protect his compatriots in the Foreign Office, including seduce Fallon, who he thinks can lead him to the deadliest crime lord in London. He knows he’s putting his life on the line...

To Warrick’s shock, Fallon is not who he thinks she is, and the secrets she’s keeping are exactly what make her his heart’s desire...

The book was pretty exciting and surprising. I think Warrick and Fallon are both great characters, although Fallon seems to be the only one who "grew" in the story. I really liked how bad ass she is, knowing how to physically defend herself against multiple enemies. That's saying something! And my oh my, she had a lot of guts and a strong instinct for self-preservation. I admire that about her.

Another things I liked about the story is that they had valid problems to their relationship instead of their own emotional confusion, which really frustrates me sometimes. However, unlike in When You Give a Duke a Diamond, I never really felt that yes, Warrick and Fallon are perfect for each other. They weren't contrasting personalities who would balance each other out. I guess only the fact that Fallon is pretty strong and steady makes her suited for Warrick instead of those simpering misses parents in those days push towards their sons. But what does that say about Warrick, eh? :p

Don't get me wrong, Warrick is a man's man and he's nice, but he's too...brusque for me. He treated Fallon unfairly, carrying her out of the ballroom over his shoulder. Some women might find that caveman attitude thrilling but for me it just reeked of disrespect for her, especially since she lived on her reputation. When he did that, he wasn't thinking of marrying her so what was she to do if her reputation ended in shatters?

The ending got pretty interesting. Lily's surprise appearance and actions have me quite excited for Sapphires are an Earl's Best Friend. It was a pretty good cliffhanger, and although it was unexpected, it was not unlikely.

Aside from that, the ending wasn't cheesy, thank you! A historical romance book is cheesy enough, but adding unnecessary oomph just makes my teeth ache. If You Give a Rake a Ruby ended with no unnecessary drama and gives us the idea that Warrick and Fallon will be living quite happily together afterwards. All twists and turns were nicely tied up, except for that bit about the Big Boss, which will feature heavily in the next book.

Toodles,