Thursday, April 26, 2012

Title:        Sweep series
Author:     Cate Tiernan
Rating:     ★★★★1/2

I’m a fan of books about magic although I’m not into Wicca. I suppose the ‘unknown’ attracts me because it’s not a world I’m familiar with (Harry Potter, Charmed, and Sabrina the Teenage Witch fan here!). I’ve been looking for a satisfactory story on witches and I finally came across this. What attracted me first was the fact that there are 15 books in the series, which meant more books for me to read! Or so I thought. I actually finished all fourteen books (I didn’t have the last) in three days! Well, partly because I didn’t have much to do and because I just kept wanting to know more and more.

To start with, there are fifteen books to the series. These are: Book of Shadows, The Coven, The Blood Witch, Dark Magick, Awakening, Spellbound, The Calling, Changeling, Strife, Seeker, Origins, Eclipse, Reckoning, Full Circle, and Night’s Child.

51qDlzATyPLSweep Series Bind Up 29550620882000110631724

The story mainly revolves around Morgan Rowland who discovers she’s a really blood witch (meaning her parents were witches) when new guy Cal Blaire arrives in Widow’s Vale. With the help of Cal, she discovers her powers and discovered some shocking secrets about her past that put her on a quest to find her roots. However, as time goes on, she discovers that people are not really what they seem to be and that your enemies might actually be her allies while her friends turn out to be her greatest enemies. The whole series don’t just talk about Morgan’s life per se. It also discusses the personal journey of other blood witches and in those stories, Morgan does not play a major role.

What I like about the series is that we see Morgan gain confidence as she grows into her powers. I also like the fact that even though she grew up in a Catholic family (and her family stayed that way), the author did not disparage the religion in any way. The book was actually very welcoming about other religions and beliefs, which I enjoyed. Morgan’s sister Mary K. stayed a Catholic and it was through her that we see the fears of people who do not really know what Wicca is but we also see her acceptance of Morgan (and other people) who are witches even though she fears them.

I also liked that it wasn’t very sappy and the characters stayed realistic. Cal and Hunter were awesome and good-looking, but they weren’t depicted as perfect. They were great but they also had their flaws.
I also enjoyed the love triangle and the twists…at the start. Eventually, by the end of the book, I just got tired because the love of Morgan and Hunter just keeps getting battered. I mean come on, it’s like they just couldn’t catch a break. I thought the fourteenth book was the last but apparently there’s one more (Night’s Child). I read the plot online and I’m glad I don’t have that. The ending of the fourteenth book was good enough already, but the fifteenth book, just by looking at the plot, feels like it was forced. I think the series should have stopped at fourteen already and let the readers take away the happy ending and imagine that Morgan and Hunter actually ended up together.

I also found Morgan a bit irritating at times. I mean, it’s like she never learns. She insists on doing her own thing even though it might get others in trouble. She just wasn’t a lovable character for me even though she’s powerful and nice. I felt like I was looking at another ‘Bella’ (from Twilight). You know, she’s beautiful, nice, and awesome but she just doesn’t know it…which is not my thing.

Points though for giving a series that is not overtly sexual even though it touches on relationships.
About the Wicca contained in the story, I don’t actually know if they’re true. Since I don’t read Wiccan books, I can’t comment on that. But it was very entertaining and the rituals described were very detailed.
The book is very open about a lot of different issues such as homosexuality, teenage sex, witchcraft, friendship, and religion. Even though I’m not into Wicca, I still enjoyed reading the series and like the fact that there’s no discrimination involved. All in all, it’s a good read and I’d recommend it for those who like reading about witches.

Ciao!

2 comments:

I love hearing from you readers. Thank you for not leaving spam on my posts.

I usually reply to your comments so make sure to visit again! :)